no-‘poo friendly deep conditioners (no oils!)

a lot of you guys have gone no-‘poo and experienced dry, brittle hair. and a lot of you are only using the baking soda method, so doing the coconut oil mask is (sadly) out of the question.

well my dear readers, i have scoured the internet world for a way for you to moisturize your hair, be able to stick with the baking soda, be able to stick with the organic/natural route, AND not break the bank! *high five*

natural deep conditioners (no-poo friendly)

here are my personal top choices that will wash out easily for you no-‘poo-ers.
MIX & MATCH the following, based on what you need!

RAW HONEY (my top choice for moisture, softness & shine!)
– moisturizing
– humectant

ALOE
– remedy for itchy scalp
– moisturizing
– humectant
– adds shine

PLAIN, ORGANIC YOGURT
– softening
– strengthening

AVOCADO
– softening
– adds shine

EGG YOLKS (my top choice for strength & shine!)
– reduce breakage
– strengthening

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR (ACV)
– adds shine
– softening

and here are some POPULAR COMBOS:
*ideally, you want to do these in the shower after you wash your hair, but beforehand is perfectly fine! also, these will drip, so put your hair up in an old plastic grocery bag or shower cap :)

ALOE & HONEY
– homemade aloe gel OR a store bought one with NO fragrance, alcohol, or dyes!!
– raw honey
1. blend (yes, in a blender) 1/4 cup aloe gel and 2 tablespoons raw honey until smooth & consistent
2. apply all over hair (root to ends) and leave on for 15-20 minutes
3. rinse with water

EGG YOLK & YOGURT (intensive protein treatment for brittle hair!)
– 1 egg yolk
– 1/2 cup plain, organic yogurt (because you don’t want sugar in your hair lol)
1. mix egg yolk and yogurt in a small bowl until consistent
2. apply to hair and leave on 15-20 minutes
3. rinse with water

AVOCADO, HONEY, & ACV (for dry hair!)
– 1/2 ripe banana
– 1/2 avocado
– 2 tablespoons honey
– 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1. blend all ingredients in a blender. you may need to add water if it’s too thick
2. apply to hair and leave on for 15-20 minutes
3. rinse with water

that about does it for now! i’m sorry i haven’t posted these miracles before now! forgive me, yea? :)

signature

259 thoughts on “no-‘poo friendly deep conditioners (no oils!)

1. jun says:

Hi.
    Just started with BS. Can’t find a good acv to use yet so I actually use a little of my conditioner and cold water To rinse off.
    Had a day in between and hair is getting oily n scalp itchy so I washed again aand tried to deep moisture it.
    For yolk and yoghurt, is it better on wet hair? I did bs super diluted wash and my hair became very dry immediately and I tried to do the yy deep moisturizing. When applying it couldn’t really stay and since my hair is only less than shoulder length long, I can’t avoid getting the mixture on my scalp too. Will it affect my scalp?
    When I was washing it off with cold water I dropped quite a bit of hair :( and the smell is pretty strong after which. I went for a run, came back and rinse it again and the smell is still there >.< even the toilet has the smell~
    So after rinsing it off I didn't feel my hair was very moisturized. In fact it was quite dry, and I'm tempted to stop but I'll hang in there for a few weeks.

2. Melody says:

Love, love, love your blog! I have battled with dandruff most of my adult life so I decided to do some research because I was so frustrated. That’s when I found you! You and your hair are gorgeous by the way.

I have been trying your different methods for almost 2 months now and have been very happy with the results. My hair transitioned quickly and I love not having to wash my hair everyday. The raw aloe worked wonders on my scalp btw.

The only thing I would warn against is mixing the egg yolk and acv when experimenting with deep conditioners. My hair smelled like pickled eggs all day. Don’t know why I didn’t think about it, duh!

3. Pat says:

I’ve been RMO for about 2 years and I’ve noticed that my hair is a little dry and more split ends. I condition with coconut milk and essential oils. Should I try the egg and yogurt conditioner for a change?
    I love the freedom of water only…

4. Niki Brawley says:

How much raw honey and aloe do you use for one wash and do you apply from roots to ends? Do you deep condition in between washes, right before you wash or at the end of your wash? Thanks for the advice!

5. gypsybysea says:

Not sure if anyone is reading these comments anymore… If anyone has something to add I would love to read it! I do the water only washing method, and I love it. I live in a dry cabin (no running water) and though I still shower every other day at relatives houses I rarely wash my hair. My hair is shoulder length, and recovering from dying it a few times since 2012. Prior to using WOW I used coconut oil hair masks weekly – daily to help strengthen and grow my hair. After reading the posts and comments it seems that it is generally advised NOT to use coconut oil hair masks if you are doing WOW… Is this true? I still want an easy mask that will strengthen my hair and help it to grow faster, longer, fuller. Coconut oil masks have been my favorite, can I still use them? Or will it set me back to early WOW use when my hair was transitioning and greasy? Any opinions are appreciated!

• Courtney says:

I don’t think that you can use coconut oil as a mask if you’re water only because water wouldn’t be strong enough to wash it out! You would need a couple of washes with BS and ACV or something stronger to wash all the coconut oil out. I think you would probably need a mask that works without adding more oils or stripping your scalp of oils- something like aloe vera gel. I think you can even use it as a leave-in conditioner because your hair will completely absorb it. Also if you have more questions or other questions you want answered you should check out the no poo/ low poo hair care group forum on facebook. Sooo much helpful information and many helpful people can be found there! Hope this helps!

6. Michelle says:

Hi thanks for the great article! Jay wanted to say remember to use cold water when you use egg on your head! I use an egg and lemon mask on my hair once every 5/6 weeks to get rid of any Baking soda build up. Mix up 2 egg yolks and juice of half a lemon. Water wash your hair first giving it a hard scrub then (very important else you’ll get an omelette on your head) rinse your hair with cold water and then smooth the mixture through your hair and to the ends. I used to put a plastic bag over it but found it warmed my head up and made omelette again so don’t bother. Leave it on for at least 10 mins then rinse off with cold water. Hair feels super soft and strong afterwards. :)

7. Jennifer Moore Baker says:

I have been No Poo for over a year and I use Coconut Oil all the time. I do a Coconut Oil Mask once a month. I also use a bit of Castille Soap in my baking Soda wash which helps with excess oil. For a rinse I use Lemon Juice with Lavender and Jasmine Essential Oil. It works way better than ACV. I usually put just a tiny bit of Coconut Oil on my ends after washing.

8. Johny says:

Hey guys. I started the No Poo for almost 3 weeks now and my hair is full of dandruff. I’m trying to see if the problem is adding to much baking soda or not enough. Anyway, you guys know any natural thing to help cleaning the dandruff?

got a question or a comment? leave it here!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s