happy sunday, crunchies!
earlier this week on IG (@alexraye_ae), i shared a super not flattering picture of myself with a bright orange face. you guys know i love a good face mask!
the one i’m sharing with you today is simple, cheap, shelf-stable, and most importantly – effective. this one has 7 benefits in 1! and it’s a beautiful caramel consistency, too. mmm!
i’ll also let you know that it’s 100% edible (and beneficial internally) as well!
Continue reading golden face mask: 7-in-1
happy sunday, crunchies!
are sundays your fun-days? or spa days? personally, i like to do absolutely nothing on sundays (if i’m not traveling)… just me and the cats…
ROM/WATER-ONLY UPDATE. Continue reading weekly catch-up #2
i’m trying something new here on AE – – a weekly catch-up! posting doesn’t happen as often as i’d like. and plus, i want a way to connect with my readers more!
if this is a total bust for you guys, please tell me, ok? okay.
NEW 100% PURE MAKEUP. 100% Pure had this insane deal where if you spent $45, you got an eyeshadow palette, mascara, eye liner, and lip balm for FREE. i don’t know what possessed me to not share via instagram (where i saw the deal), but i will definitely start spreading the word on sales. i bought the caffeine eye cream and the hydrating face lotion to meet the minimum purchase requirement and to finally get to try them, of course! usually i DIY eeeverything, but i felt a little splurge on myself for makeup wasn’t a bad thing…right? i’ll post a total review on the products soon after i have some time to really test them out! especially in this southern swamp heat. do you have any 100% Pure must-haves or passes?? Continue reading weekly catch-up #1
doesn’t that just sound fantastic?! luckily, they leave your hair feeling and looking as fantastic as they sound like they do!
today is officially SPRING! and with that comes warmer weather, brighter colors, and cooler drinks! and now – your hair can join in the fun!
hair smoothies can be thick or runny, made with vegetables or fruits… but they’re all 100% edible!
so go ahead –
BONUS – they can go on your face, too!
all of these smoothies use pure aloe vera gel as a base. the aloe is scalp-soothing, adds a nice punch of moisture and shine, as well as helps chunks of fruits/veggies be less likely to get stuck in your hair (especially with fine or curly hair).
here are all of my yummy favorites! all of these hair smoothies are targeted towards moisture first and foremost, and then shine/softness/clarity.
these hair smoothies are great for weekly use!
Continue reading hair smoothies
hey crunchies! today i have something i’m very excited to share with you (and i hope you’re excited about what it does!). i gave you a little teaser on instagram, but it definitely looked like some sort of melted ice cream. haha!
it’s an exfoliating face mask that also:
Continue reading exfoliating MSM face mask
with this winter being one of the hardest in a long time, keeping my hair and skin moisturized has been at the top of my list!
since i only use water to wash my hair, i couldn’t use my beloved coconut oil on my scalp. but i still needed extra moisture! so what is a gal to do?
DIY her own scalp rinse. duh ;)
this rinse is for anyone battling a flaky, itchy, dry scalp at any point in time, using ANY hair washing method. it doesn’t matter if you’re no-poo, low-poo, clay ‘poo, water-only, etc… this rinse is safe to use!
what’s in this rinse?
- raw honey – acts as a humectant and draws in moisture
- undistilled alcohol-free witch hazel – soothes an irritated and itchy scalp and helps combat dryness (if you don’t use alcohol-free, it will dry out your scalp even more. it also needs to be undistilled to ensure the tannins are still present in the liquid)
- rose water – reduces inflammation and helps combat dryness
- distilled water
- pure aloe vera gel- great moisturizer and soothes itch (you can most certainly add this, but to store your mix in the shower, don’t use aloe. otherwise, store it in the fridge!)
- mix 1 1/4 cups of warm, distilled water with 1/2 tablespoon raw honey until the honey is mixed well into the water
- add 1 tablespoon alcohol-free witch hazel, 1/2 cup pure aloe, and 1 tsp rose water
- mix well and pour into a plastic squeezy bottle so it can be applied directly to your scalp
- after washing (whatever that may be for you) or wetting your hair, apply it to your scalp in sections, rubbing in for a few seconds in each spot.
- let it sit for a few minutes (5 to 10) and rinse well in cool water
this mix should be enough to use for 2 or 3 rinses. you may keep the rinse in a bottle in your shower for a couple weeks. no need to worry about anything spoiling (unless you added aloe)!
also, be sure to never wash or wet your hair in hot water! this will dry out both your hair and scalp, as well as cause typical heat damage to your strands!
now go give this rinse a try :)
crunchies. i think i’ve done it… i think i’ve created the magic hippie shampoo for all hair types. i don’t wanna get ahead of myself, but get excited.
i’m always trying to learn more and more about the crunchy lifestyle. i want to find 928374 ways to wash hair, wash dishes, clean bathtubs, etc. i want people to become educated in natural alternatives and empowered…and still be able to make choices! this blog has taken a turn to be focused on all-natural hair care (as per my lovely readers), so anything hair-related especially peaks my interest.
aside from the comments of gratitude and support for the crunchy community, i still get a lot of comments saying that certain hair care routines didn’t work, and asking what to do next. those are the hardest comments to answer because it’s SO different for everyone. i’ve been wanting SO badly to find something that everyone can start with, no matter their hair type or current hair care routine.
and guys, i think i’ve done it!
Continue reading problems with no-‘poo or low-‘poo? here’s the holy grail of natural shampoos…
this post is going to be so fun!
i get quite a few readers that reach out to me knowing they want to start, but don’t know where. i felt the same exact way when i switched! i read anything i could get my hands on about natural living solutions and soaked it up like a sponge.
for all y’all that want to ditch the chemicals (and let’s be honest…save tons of money…), but are overwhelmed by everything you can do (completely understandable!), this post is for YOU!
going crunchy (all-natural, homesteader, etc.) is incredibly liberating and yet very daunting. it’s a complete life-changing experience and it’s easy to get lost along the switch to a more natural lifestyle.
so what DO you do?! and with what?!
good news is, you can do pretty much anything you like to & tailor it to your specific needs! bad news is, you have SO many options that it’s easy to get bogged down.
no matter which routines you choose, i’ve picked these 5 products (and some honorable mentions) that will ease your transition and that can be used for multiple things. they’ll all be a fantastic starting point for your new crunchy lifestyle!!
AND i want ALL of you crunchies to leave your “crunchy must-haves” in the comments!! i told ya this would be fun!
here we go!
- castile soap (either liquid or bar) – this will be your ultimate cleaner. you can dilute it and use it for body wash, shampoo, laundry detergent, all-purpose household cleaner, and even put it in your homemade toothpaste! its uses are plentiful!
- baking soda – you can use this as an all-purpose cleaner (toilets, dishes, countertops, drains, clothes, etc), skin and face exfoliation, to relieve heartburn and skin irritations (even poison ivy), in your homemade deodorant, overall odor absorber (including carpet cleaner), cockroach and ant repellant, dry shampoo, etc.
- coconut oil – this stuff is my holy grail. i use it for lotion, shaving cream, deep conditioner, eye cream for wrinkles and dark circles, in my smoothies and meals, and in my toothpaste. i always have 2 jars on hand – one opened and being used, and one waiting for me. you want the unrefined (virgin, undeodorized) version!
- essential oils – EOs are little liquid miracles. they can be used for anything and everything from helping rid infections to just plain ol making things smell great. you should use EOs with lots of caution, and with a plentiful amount of research under your belt. see this beginner’s guide to EOs for a quick learning blip.
- apple cider vinegar – this can be used as a facial toner, acne spot treatment, hair “conditioner”, all-purpose household cleaner, deodorant, wart treatment, sunburn relief, in water for a drink or on a salad to balance your body internally and cleanse your lymph nodes and flush out candida (ladies!), fabric softener, fruit cleansing bath, etc. you want the raw, unfiltered kind!
- bentonite clay – you can use this on your hair & skin, and as an internal/external detox. i even put it in my toothpaste!
- aloe – you can use this on your skin, hair, and even consume it. it’s wonderous! i love it in my morning glass of water and as a hair conditioner.
- raw honey – again, you can use this on your skin, hair, and consume it! i LOVE it as an acne spot treatment and deeeep conditioner. you can literally wash your face with honey, too!
- arrowroot powder/corn starch (non-GMO) – i use this stuff for dry shampoo, make-up, and deodorant. a little goes a long way for multiple uses!
- sea salt – you can use this for cleaning, body scrubs, etc. you can mix it with coconut oil and EOs for a fantastic body scrub that’s completely unique to you!
and of course, always have an abundance of glass jars for all your concoctions!! <3
WELCOME TO THE CRUNCHY COMMUNITY!! <3
need to buy anything? check out my resources page for trusted companies and brands!
(fellow crunchies– WHAT ARE YOUR CRUNCHY MUST-HAVES??)