EDIT: this post is now nearly 6 years old. i have an updated, BETTER version here.
i have tried so many face washes/cleansers/acne-get-ridders/etc… but each one has something i don’t like about it. too drying, too oily, too many chemicals, not organic enough…etc, etc.
well my friends, i have hit the facial cleaning jackpot! after lots and lots of research, i tried the oil cleansing method. what’s that, you ask? it’s cleaning your face and getting rid of the oils with another oil. that seems like the exact OPPOSITE of what you’d want to do, especially with acne-prone skin, but here’s the jist:
- oil dissolves oil
- your natural oil helps lubricate, it also heals, protects, and moisturizes your skin so that it may function properly
overall, it’s suggested that you use a blend of two oils, specific to your needs.
i personally use argan oil and hempseed oil, in an equal 1:1 ratio. i use this blend now.
>> 2018 edit: i no longer recommend all of these oils and only recommend these.
CREATING YOUR BLEND OF OILS:
- oily skin: mix 1 part balanced oils with 3 parts oily skin oils
- balanced skin: mix equal parts oils under the balanced skin category (can be more than 2 or 3)
- dry skin: mix equal parts oils under the dry skin category
- use 1 organic oil, like argan oil. i find this to be the best for my sensitive skin, along with hempseed oil.
- create your own blend.
HOW TO USE:
- wipe your face (make-up or not) with warm water and a wash cloth
- slather a generous puddle of your oil blend onto your face and massage gently for two minutes (i use a dime-size amount because a little argan oil goes a LONG way)
- put the wash cloth under HOT water and gently wring out excess water so it doesn’t drip on you (don’t burn yourself! this is meant to “steam” your face)
- place washcloth over your face and relax until it cools off
- gently massage/wipe the oil from your face with the same wash cloth
- heat up the wash cloth again with the hot water
- place over your face again until it cools off
- massage/wipe off your face again with the wash cloth
- allow your skin to air dry
- voila, super soft, super clean skin!!
you will be surprised at the dirt you see on the washcloth. i had my boyfriend try it after he showered and this method STILL took dirt out of his pores 🙂
i do the OCM every 4ish days, sometimes less. i wash with water only and a washcloth in between ocm days. and i exfoliate with a watery MSM paste with some raw honey every week to week and a half. it works great for me!
i believe it also needs to be noted you must also take care of your skin internally… drink lots of water, eat right, exercise, etc.
seriously people, this stuff works wonders. try it and lemme hear about it!!