some ingredients in common makeup and other beauty products are very toxic to your health! be an educated consumer! i know i’ve stressed this to you before. i just can’t stress it enough 🙂
let me just lay a fun fact on you (that’s not really fun at all)… the FDA doesn’t regulate lead levels in cosmetics. i’m not kidding. does that not bother you?!!?
another not-fun fact. you know the sodium laureth sulfate in your shampoo that makes it all sudsy? our bodies aren’t designed to remove those toxins from our tissues once they are absorbed. you know what that means? they remain in our tissues, potentially doing harm, for a very long time. SLS has been found in brain, eye and liver tissues of cadavers of people who quit using sulfates as many as fifteen years prior to death. WHAAAAT?! right! and you wonder why the hell i completely gave up all chemicals in my beauty routine.
you’re getting small amounts, you say? even in small amounts, these ingredients add up over the years. you also have to consider it’s not just what’s in your makeup. it could be your shampoo, lotion, perfume, etc. AND if these are in multiple products of yours, just think of the multiple exposures you’re getting… times the years…. YIKES! i don’t understand how this isn’t more terrifying to people.
anywho, i’ve compiled a small list of some of the biggest makeup toxicity offenders below. i’m a firm believer in being an educated consumer and a healthier human 🙂 if you are too, you can check out this awesome site & awesome woman! please, if you have anything… any type of product… with any of these ingredients, please do your body a favor and throw them AWAY!
INGREDIENTS & TOXICITY:
– lead: headaches, insomnia, irribilitability, low sex drive, mood problems, trouble concentrating, poor coordination, constipation
– mercury: (check your mascara) nervous system damage, do we really have to talk about mercury being bad? or lead for that matter?
– parabens: (look for anything with “paraben” in the name) estrogen imitator, breast cancer, early menstruation in very young female children, male reproductive system interference such as low sperm count
– sodium lareth sulfate: (sodium laurel, SLS, PEG, polyethylene glycol) cancer, known carcinogen
– fragrance: (parfum) asthma, allergies, hormone disruption, infertility
– pthalates: sperm damage, feminization of baby boys, infertility
– triclosan: thyroid damage, super-bugs (like MRSA)
– butylated hydroxyanisole: (BHA) probable carcinogen, loss of skin pigmentation, thyroid hormone interference, reproductive development interference, interference of production of reproductive hormones, liver damage, stomach cancers
– formaldehyde-releasing preservatives: (DMDM, “urea,” methenamine, sodium hydromethlyglycinate) known carcinogen
……..and do you like to wear lipstick?
the number ONE lipstick lead offender is maybelline color sensational lipstick in “pink petal.” other lip product lead offenders include burt’s bees lip shimmer in “toffee,” and MAC in “viva glam” (see all the FDA’s lipstick lead ratings here. they rated over 400 ones!)
well. lol… since i don’t want to be all doom & gloom, check out these “safe cosmetic companies” here. they do take into consideration the EWG’s Skin Deep ratings that i’ve been begging you guys to look at 🙂
ladies, please note mac & burt’s bees are NOT on that safe companies list. i’ve never understood the hype behind their products anyway.
i know this is way extreme. i’m aware lol. but every little bit counts when it comes to your health. i know i personally am working on the make-up side of being chemical-less. cutting out chemical-laden mascara and nail polish will be the end of me! haha. i will NEED to find alternatives. but so far, i’ve got the hair & skin part down pat 🙂
what steps have YOU taken to be a healthier you, inside & out?!