as we all know, keeping your skin moisturized is of top-notch priority, but slathering it with chemicals to do so is not.
i’ve come up with this small list to help you keep your facial skin in tip-top shape, and also to help protect it from over-exposure to the sun. all of these ingredients can be used in more than one way (woohoo!), so please don’t feel like you’re shelling out money for only one thing.
these are non-comedogenic oils. you can use them as a base before you put on makeup, or mix them with up to 10% zinc oxide for better broad spectrum protection, and to make it more of a liquidy cream than straight oil. you can also add green tea extract to provide some antioxidant action. just remember that a little goes a long way with these oils! & if they’re an essential oil, they will need to be diluted with a carrier oil!
- red raspbery seed oil (spf 30 to 50)
- carrot seed oil (spf 30)
- wheat germ oil (spf 20)
- hazelnut oil (rumored spf 15; widely used in natural sunscreens)
- soybean oil (spf 10)
- olive oil (spf 7)
- macadamia nut oil (spf 6)
- castor oil (spf 6)
- almond oil (spf 5)
- jojoba oil (spf 4)
- unrefined avocado oil (spf 4 to 15)
- other oils that provide protection
- more oils that provide protection
- other berry oils that provide protection
- more on natural sun protection
- even more on natural sun protection
where to buy these oils: any health food store, organic store, or online. shop around and make sure they’re 100% natural!
& if you’re looking to buy a premade natural moisturizer with spf, HERE are the EWG’s top safe and non-comedogenic choices.
i also like these:
- 100% Pure – pomegranate antioxidant hydration (spf 20)
- 100% Pure – argan oil hydration (spf 30)
- Pacific – everyday sheer coverage (spf 20)
- Badger Balm – damascus rose face sunscreen (spf 16)
- John Masters Organics – natural mineral sunscreen (spf 30)
of course, the best option for your wallet would be to buy the organic oil(s) and mix some zinc oxide in it if you need the extra protection. pre-made organic facial moisturizers with spf are PRICEY, and sometimes aren’t 100% natural or organic.
what have natural alternatives have you used to keep your face moisturized and protected?
(and don’t forget to enter the FLEXI-CLIP GIVEAWAY!!)
references: (U.S. companies cannot claim and/or publish a SPF rating unless measured, tested and approved, as regulated by the FDA. some sources state UV absorption versus “spf”.)
red raspberry seed oil
carrot seed oil
wheat germ oil
macadamia nut oil
unrefined avocado oil
zinc oxide- my local pharmacist…whom i annoyed with 2384728 questions