what better way to kick off SKIN WEEK than to talk about nourishing your skin! (& happy july!)
these lotions/balms/butters/moisturizers are natural and/or organic, therefore completely safe to use! i would usually have a section on why to NOT use store-bought lotions, but i think if you’re reading this, you know who i am and what i stand for. so we’ll do a quick overview of what you do NOT want in your lotions 🙂 yay!
what you DON’T want in your lotion:
- mineral oil/paraffin oil – a by-product of petroleum, to produce gasoline and other products based from crude oil
- petroleum jelly/petrolatum – often contaminated with impurities linked to cancer and other health concerns
- parabens – this is currently a Toxic or Not Tuesday post waiting to be published. short answer, it’s been found to cause reproductive and growth issues, and has (controversially) been found in breast cancer tumor tissue
- fragrance/parfum – this is code for ‘we mixed a cocktail of unknown chemicals to make it smell okay’
- silicones – anything ending in -xane, -zane, -cone, -conol. these prevent your skin from getting moisture
- much, much more… check this list (scroll down past the video… you can mute it haha. there’s a list below.)
and we all know that our skin is our largest organ, and our first line of defense. our skin really has its work cut out for it! we need to care for it as the delicate, yet total badbutt that it is!
- unrefined coconut oil – CO straight outta the jar is an amazing body lotion. probably the best, honestly. and you can add essential oils for your own custom scent! keep in a glass jar at room temp or in the fridge and it’ll keep up to a year or two! for some reason i’m on a rose kick right now, and i recently mixed some of my CO with arabian rose oil. oooo yea! if you keep yours in the fridge and don’t want it to harden like crazy when it’s chilled, whip it! put some in a stand mixer or use a hand mixer, and whip that CO up till it’s fluffy!
- unrefined shea butter – great moisturizer, but not as easily spread. you can whip it up with equal parts CO, *and optionally add a carrier oil and EO of your choice.
- argan oil – you knew that one was coming, haha. pure, organic argan oil is an incredible moisturizer. it’s so darn expensive though. so maybe keep it for your elbows and knees?
- sweet almond oil/jojoba oil – you can use it straight (might leave an oily residue), or you can mix it with it CO (1 part oil, 1 part CO; whip with mixer)
- carrier oil mix – you can essentially make any great lotion by mixing a carrier oil of your choice, beeswax, and any essential oils you like. you can also add vitamin E and/or CO. seriously, it’s so easy and can be VERY personal 🙂 think of the great lotions you could make for dear friends! it’s all about finding what is a perfect fit for you and being healthier
- there are TONS of recipes out there for organic lotions. check out this jack pot of a database for lotions,
*whichever recipe you choose to use, please store your homemade lotion in a glass jar!
** you can buy these at your local organic store, health food store, or online
(in alphabetical order)
- acure ($10/7 oz)
- badger balm ($8/2 oz for balm OR $13/2 oz for daily moisturizer)
- bubble & bee ($17/4 oz
- dr bronners ($10/8 oz)
- kathy’s ($22/8 oz)
- made from earth ($23/8 oz)
- nature’s paradise ($19/9 oz)
- nourish organic ($10/8 oz)
- shea moisture ($10/12 oz)
- sheaberry ($6-$12)
- tropical traditions ($14.50-$16/8 oz)
- zoe natural ($8-$11/4 oz)
- zum body ($7/2 oz; $16.50/8 oz)
- 100% pure ($15/8 oz) as much as i advertise them, i’m thinkin a product review should be offered…yea? 😉
- check etsy (still check out the store owners & ingredients!)
- if you can pronounce all the ingredients and know what they are, chances are it’s okay, and vice-versa. ALWAYS read the ingredients list!!
**if you opt to buy your lotion, check the ingredients and make sure you can’t buy the ingredients and make it yourself for cheaper than what you can buy it for. unfortunately, organic products are sometimes heavily overpriced. the most cost effective is by far a jar of unrefined CO, since you can use it for SO many other things.**
what are some natural/organic lotions that you love?? let’s hear it!