2021 edit: i no longer subscribe to or support the “all-natural” label. more here.
welcome back to SKIN WEEK – day 4!
many of you have asked about what i do for shaving. well, it’s time to share the knowledge 🙂
let’s be honest – having to shave SUCKS. it takes so long… you can cut yourself… you can get ingrown hairs… you have to keep re-shaving… BLEGH.
but what’s one way to make it suck less? use all-natural shaving creams/lotions/oils! think of it this way – you’re running sharp blades all over your body. so do you really want chemicals seeping in? absolutely not!
so check these out –
- organic, unrefined coconut oil – you don’t need to “make” anything with this. just apply it plain, shave, and enjoy your silky smoothness! you can always mix some EOs in, too!
- medium to heavy carrier oil – again, not really “making” anything, but it’ll work wonders. try sweet almond oil, sesame oil (which is the best oil for oil pulling, too! double whammy!), or apricot kernel oil. and again, you can add EOs.
- ‘coconut cream’ – my personal combo/made up name! combine 1 part coconut oil, 1 part medium/heavy carrier oil, and a few drops of the EOs of your choice. whip up with hand mixer/stand mixer, and store.
- coconut shaving lotion – mix 1 part organic shampoo, 1 part organic conditioner, and 1/3 part coconut oil. (note- if you choose to use liquid castile soap, dilute to 1/2 part soap, then 1 part conditioner & 1/3 part CO.). whip up and store.
- dr bronner’s leave-in styling cream – it’s an amazing shaving lotion; seriously. and it comes in a pump container, so you just need one tiny pump per leg! shave, rinse, done!
- dr bronner’s shaving gel
- any low-poo/organic conditioner
- garden of eve
** to clean your razors – every time you shave, rinse with hot water, and lightly brush front & back of razor blades with a soft toothbrush. no more goop; no more dull blades!
i personally either use plain coconut oil (rubbed on before my shower), dr bronner’s leave-in style cream, and my coconut cream. none of them are irritating, nor will they leave your freshly shaven parts in need of moisture. AND they’re completely organic! double score! (and backstory- i originally bought the DB leave-in cream for my hair, but it was just too much for it. i didn’t want to throw it away, so i thought “ehh, it’s just organic cream… let’s try this on my leggies!” and the rest is history!
and honestly everyone, there’s no reason to buy shaving lotion. you can make it so much cheaper and completely customize it to fit what you need/want 🙂
>> if you want to SHAVE LESS, check out my super easy, super yummy, coconut brown sugar body scrub! it’s heavenly!
what will YOU try? what do you currently use??