2021 edit: i no longer subscribe to or support the “all-natural” label. more here.
the last official Skin Week post is today! (tomorrow is a review & surprise for all y’all. i WILL still post on all the other skin questions you had!)
so to round off Skin Week, we’re gonna delve into how to even out your skin tone naturally!
what causes uneven skin tone?
- overproduction of melanin
- excessive sun exposure
- skin trauma/scarring
what can we do to help even out skin tone?
- raw apple cider vinegar (acv)– you all know i’m a fan of raw acv. it contains amino acids, mineral salts, and plenty of vitamins. there’s also sulfur in it, which makes it a great skin toner and an effective skin spot, age spot and acne fader. to use this method, soak a cotton ball or pad with pure, raw apple cider vinegar, and apply directly to the skin up to twice daily. it can be drying, so test it first!
- raw honey– wash your face with honey 🙂 or combine into an oatmeal scrub/mask
- chamomile – this can be used as a toner, by brewing a strong tea with a chamomile tea bag and a 1/2 cup of water. let it steep for a few hours, strain and combine the tea with a 1/2 cup of witch hazel. use after washing for natural home remedy for brightening the skin, and make sure to store it in the refrigerator.
- milk – milk can lighten your skin for a more even tone by working on melanin to lighten the skin, and helping to diminish the appearance of darker blemishes and scars.
- licorice (root) extract – it’s a great anti-inflammatory, and is great at fading skin marks and smoothing the skin.
to use this method, mix the extract with either distilled water or green tea, and soak a soft cotton cloth in the mixture. then apply to your clean face for 15 minutes.
- lemon – as we talked about in how to heal your acne scars naturally, citric acid in lemons is a natural way to lighten and even out your skin tone. you can apply lemon juice to your clean face daily, and wash it off after letting it sit for 15-20 minutes. remember to wash it off completely before going into the sun!
- turmeric – turmeric can be taken in pill form available at you local health food or organic store, OR you can apply it directly to the skin. try this recipe: mix 1 tablespoon turmeric, 1 tablespoon finely ground almonds or cornmeal,
and 2 tablespoons buttermilk. apply to your clean face and let it sit for 15-20 mins. rinse well & done!
- oatmeal – oatmeal acts as a great exfoliator. you can add some raw honey to make more of a thicker paste. apply to your clean face, and let sit for 10 minutes. then rub your face for a few minutes before rinsing off well.
- egg whites – beat an egg white and rub onto your clean skin, letting it sit for 15 minutes before rinsing well with water. you can also try this mask recipe: mix 1 egg white, 1 tablespoon raw honey, 1 1/2 teaspoons witch hazel, and 2 teaspoons lemon juice. apply to your clean skin, and let sit for 10-15 minutes. rinse well & done! be sure to store in the fridge if you don’t use it all!
use these 2 to 4 weeks before giving up if you’re not seeing drastic results 🙂 natural ways can take a little longer, but will be better for your skin and your body!
have you guys tried any of these? want to? let’s hear it!