who doesn’t want pearly whites?
with natural toothpastes (without all the bleaching chemicals), some people notice their teeth aren’t as white anymore. so what do you do? turn to chemicals? NO! 🙂
what you can use to naturally whiten your teeth:
- activated charcoal
- unrefined coconut oil (only unrefined)
- other fruits & veggies
how to use these natural remedies:
- activated charcoal – dip your wet toothbrush into the powder and brush your teeth for a few minutes. rinse well and done! you can do this every day for a couple weeks, then taper off to a couple times a week for upkeep. the activated charcoal will “soak up” all the stain-causing tannins and other things, leaving you with whiter teeth. you can also mix it with coconut oil to form a paste. if you are sensitive or allergic to coconut, use sesame seed oil instead 🙂
- banana peel – rub the inside of a ripe banana peel on your teeth for a few minutes. then rinse with water or brush as normal. the banana is chock full of minerals that’ll make for healthy teeth. (there are mixed reviews on this. some say it works, some say it doesn’t. if it doesn’t work for you, at least your teeth are bathed in all kinds of mineral goodness for a few minutes!)
- strawberries – mash up a couple ripe strawberries, and apply them to your teeth as a paste. you can also brush your teeth with the berry paste instead. the astringent in strawberries helps remove surface stains, and the vitamin C whitens teeth by clearing away plaque. make sure you rinse well with water after and/or brush your teeth after to clear off the acid.
- unrefined coconut oil – put a toothpaste-sized amount on your toothbrush and brush for a few minutes. rinse and done! the oil will help promote a healthy oral environment, leading to healthier gums and whiter teeth.
- other fruits & veggies – crunchy vegetables such as raw celery and carrots, and crispy fruits like raw apples and pears are naturally abrasive, not to mention full of nutritional goodness. they’re great for teeth and your body!
ways to NOT whiten your teeth naturally:
- baking soda – under no circumstances should you be using a baking soda paste on your teeth to whiten them! it’s abrasive and WILL erode your enamel!
- lemon/orange juice/peel and/or apple cider vinegar – the acid will erode your enamel over time when used as whitening agents.
- hydrogen peroxide – it’s rough on your gums and the lining of your mouth, disrupting the normal flora of bacteria in your mouth. also, HP is an oxidant. think of it this way: you use antioxidants to reduce cellular damage, so why use an oxidant in your mouth? so long story short, do Not use it to whiten your teeth!
has anyone tried any of these? what are your favorites?? i personally love activated charcoal mixed with enough unrefined CO to make a thick paste 🙂 not to mention my homemade toothpowder has AC in it anyway!