once a reader asked “what on earth is emu oil?” i realized i just kinda dumped this little golden nugget on yall and didn’t really explain it.
i have an obsession with it that was instilled in me at a very young age. my grandparents had an emu farm when i was growing up, so i know this bird pretty well. we ate their HUGE eggs, used their oil/fat for eeeeverything, ate their meat in all different ways (burgers, sausage, jerky, etc.), and of course made things from the feathers and eggs. oh, we were friends with them, too. i swam in the lake with them and ran around the pens with them. i even gathered the eggs they laid, watched the babies hatch, and played with them. i had a pretty enriching childhood i guess. haha.
but i digress.
emu oil is such a freakin miracle oil. i just had to dedicate a whole post to it!
first, what is an emu?
it’s a big ol flightless bird from australia. really, these birds are BIG. they can get to about 6 feet tall! ours were around 5 1/2 feet tall i’d say. i won’t bother you with other weird details i know, but you should google them in your free time. they’re pretty cool creatures!
this is what they look like as an adult:
as a baby (about the weight of a small cat… only taller):
and here’s how big the eggs are:
(note: it is NOT an ostrich. lol)
what is emu oil?
it’s oil pressed from the fat of emus. pure and simple. nothing added, nothing taken out. it should be an opaque-ish creamy color.
and the best part? it’s hypoallergenic!
what is in emu oil?
it’s chock full of essential fatty acids (such as oleic acid), omega-3, 6, and 9.
what can you use emu oil for?
- hand/face/body ‘lotion’ (soaks in quickly and non-comedogenic. OCM, anyone?!)
- lip balm
- hair and scalp moisturizer
- age spots
- acne and acne scars
- body scars
- keloids (absolute miracle for this!)
- diaper rash
- bug bite relief (even flea bites for your furry kids)
- razor burn/nicks
- toe nail fungus
- triglycerides provide a balanced source of the essential fatty acids linolenic acid (Omega-3 EFA) and linoleic acid (Omega-6 EFA), which contribute to heart and vascular health
- helps prevent heart disease by reducing blood clotting
- improve the body’s operations for people whose diets lack proper balance of fatty acids
- may lower LDL “bad cholesterol” and reduce the risks of cardiovascular diseases
what brands of emu oil can we trust?
i should really have you guys buy it from my grandparents. we’ll see what they think about that. but until then, here’s who we can trust! please keep in mind those who sell emu oil are most likely small family farmers. their websites won’t look like amazon, but they’re legit.
i secretly hope you guys get as obsessed with this as i am (as much as we already are with coconut oil…lol)