good morning, crunchies!
after the post on the research behind oil pulling, we learned that oil pulling is just as effective as using a mouthwash. if you personally don’t like all the swishing, making your own mouthwash is a great alternative!
but what’s IN your mouthwash is also very important!
here’s a mouthwash recipe that’s remineralizing, healing, and kicks bad breath to the curb!
WHAT TO USE:
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 5-10 drops peppermint essential oil (or lemon…or cinnamon… whatever flavor you want! but do not use wintergreen*) (fights bad breath)
- 1 teaspoon calcium magnesium powder (remineralizing)
- 1 teaspoon Real salt (pink Himalayan sea salt) (healing; antibacterial action)
- *5-10 drops trace minerals (i like LiquiMins) – not essential, but great for added minerals to “bathe” your teeth in (remineralizing)
- put your filtered water in a glass bottle that you still somehow have the lid to (i used an old tea bottle)
- pour in your cal-mag powder and salt. shake to dissolve
- add your trace minerals, if you’d like. shake a bit to mix thoroughly
- add your essential oils, one drop at a time (too many and it can burn your mouth. EOs are very concentrated). shake to mix.
}sip a bit from the bottle, careful not to swallow. swish around in your mouth for a couple minutes and spit! no need to rinse. this is safe for the little humans that can brush their teeth unsupervised, granted they know not to swallow 🙂
nothing in this mix should “expire” quickly. however, keep an eye on it and make a new batch if you haven’t used all of this one in a few weeks.
what flavors will you use? i stick to plain ol peppermint. i’d like to try lime!
let us know how you like this rinse, and if you prefer oil pulling or rinsing! either methods are great for overall better oral health ❤
*note – i personally advise against using wintergreen essential oil. there is evidence it’s highly poisonous when taken orally! when used properly, it can be helpful when used externally, however.