as i hinted in my SBO post, here’s my favorite DIY lotion! it’s been quite the journey of trial and error with countless recipes.
for me personally, i wanted a lotion that was alcohol-free, fast-absorbing, noncomedogenic, multiuse, and most of all – easy and cheap to make in large quantities.
hopefully you guys love this particular recipe. and please leave your favorites in the comments!
note this recipe is unscented, but i later re-blended with lavender EO. it didn’t alter the end mixture, so add in 8 to 10 drops of your favorite EOs for added aromatherapy and healing benefits.
YIELDS: 16 ounces of lotion
TIME: 40 minutes (10-15 minutes prep, 15-20 minute wait, 5 minutes mixing & packing)
- 1 cup aloe vera gel
- 1 cup of your favorite carrier oils
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite nourishing oils
- 3 tablespoons beeswax
- 1 tablespoon raw shea butter
this recipe also doubles as a great hair moisturizer and face moisturizer, of course considering the oils you use. for this batch i used 3/4 cup hemp seed oil & 1/4 kukui nut oil for my carrier oils and sea buckthorn oil (SBO benefits) for my nourishing oil so i could also use this lotion on my face and in my hair.
- medium saucepan
- large glass bowl
- hand mixer
- measuring cups
- spoon or fork
- in a double boiler (i used my glass bowl over the medium saucepan of hot water), melt your beeswax and raw shea butter. once almost completely melted, remove from heat.
2. mix in your aloe, carrier oils, and SBO immediately. this can be done with a spoon or fork.
3. place mixture immediately into the freezer and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. you don’t want to freeze it so check on it at 15. mine took 20 and this is what it looked like when i poked it –
4. once removed from the freezer, whip your mixture with a hand blender for about 2 minutes, until it’s a blended, smooth, lotion-consistency.
that’s it! now you just need to store it in an airtight container, away from direct sunlight. keep at room temperature and use within 3 months.
if it begins to separate for some reason, just re-blend.
where to purchase bulk ingredients:
(links provided not affiliate links)
- Lily of the Desert aloe vera – local health food store; the vitamin shoppe; iherb; vitacost; amazon; all sources retail for about $4 for 16 ounces
- carrier oils and nourishing oils – local health store; mountain rose herbs
- beeswax – mountain rose herbs – 1 pound/$17
- raw shea butter – amazon – 1 pound/$14 (don’t buy pre-packaged shea butter. it won’t be raw and the mark-up is unreal)