have you seen that “hot vegan” gel mask in a squeezy tube, maybe in whole foods or sprouts?
short story short, i’m here with a DIY version of that mask, but without the harsh additives.
aqua, glycerin, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, sclerotium gum, algin, salix nigra (willow) bark extract, zinger officinate (ginger) root extract, elettaria cardamomum (cardamon) extract, piper nigrum (black pepper) fruit extract, cocos nucifera (coconut) water, lactoccus ferment lysate, sorbitan, oleate decylglucoside crosspolymer, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, parfum (natural)
gross. we can do better… and we shall!
please note you cannot store this in your fridge more than a couple days or you risk some nasty bacteria growth. only make a little at a time. if you can’t use it all in one go, it’s perfectly fine to go in your hair and/or on your scalp.
- aloe vera juice
- coconut water
- xanthan gum (yes, like for baking)
- willow bark extract
- can get it on amazon in both powder and liquid form. this one also has glycerin, if your skin likes that.
- ginger powder
- cardamon powder
- turmeric curcumin w/ black pepper (yes, the supplement)
- has the black pepper extract but added benefits of turmeric. here’s a bomb turmeric face mask, btw
ok, here we go:
- mix 2 tbs aloe juice and 1 tbs coconut water in a tiny bowl.
- sprinkle 1 small pinch of xanthan gum over the liquid. stir a bit and let sit for TWO HOURS. groan now, thank me later.
- return to your tiny bowl and notice you now have a thick gel. smile. you see where this is going.
- add 1/2 tsp liquid willow bark extract OR 1/2 tsp powder, 1/2 tsp ginger powder, 1/2 tsp cardamon powder, and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. stir until well blended.
- apply to clean face and let sit for 10 to 40 minutes, depending on how sensitive your skin is. a slight tingle as an indication of increased blood flow is okay. anything more is not.
- rinse well.
- immediately follow up with your favorite serum, since you have increased blood flow and your face is hydrated.
i can’t believe i’ve never posted a GEL recipe on this blog! i’ve failed you. sorry.
what do you think? any spins on this recipe you can share? hope to hear from you!