happy saturday, crunchies.
i thought this would be a fun one! the highlight of reviewing my blog stats is getting to read what people searched to wind up on my blog.
so let’s answer some of the most popular ones, shall we?
no long intro – let’s get into it.
- does the honey and cinnamon cleanse work?
- short answer: studies indicate you can lose 0.5% to 1% body fat over the course of 30 days… OR you could just take a daily brisk walk.
- longer answer: i posted about it here 6 years ago, when i still had access to my graduate research library.
- how to get flawless skin
- hmm “flawless”… i’m not sure i’ve ever encountered anyone with flawless skin. just accept and love yourself for what you are and have.
- also important – try to eat a plant-based, whole foods diet with plenty of good fats, drink enough water, ensure you’re getting good quality sleep, find ways to reduce your stress, and keep your skincare routine simple (yet effective).
- how do i get coconut oil out of my hair?
- ooo girl, we’ve all been there. i’d advise you use a “green” conditioner a couple of times. i really like calia’s line of conditioners! if a coconut oil mask won’t come out of your hair after that, shampoo… and going forward, opt for small amounts of “dry” carrier oils on wet to damp hair, instead of a full blown hair and scalp mask. i really like amaranth seed oil.
- hello, 2014. yikes.
- does shea butter have spf?
- do not try to make your own sunscreen. you have no idea if you’re properly protecting your skin, and to have that tested requires a formal panel, testing, and thousands of dollars. i like Badger Balm sunscreens for my body and Josh Rosebrook’s Daily Nutrient Cream for my face.
- how to scritch and preen
- i first wrote and made a video about this in, i think, 2013, before it blew up on the internet. the quality is terrible, but my sweet baby cat who passed away is in it, so i left it up. anyway, this process is tedious, but it does make your hair super soft and healthy. check it out here.
- please laugh with me at this –
- oil cleansing method before and after
- aw, this one kind of got me in feels, because i wrote the original OCM post when my blog first starting blowing up.
- look at grad school me –
- red raspberry seed oil sunscreen
- no. i mean, does published research indicate red raspberry seed oil has SPF properties? well, sure, yes. but i’m embarrassed and disappointed in myself that years ago i posted DIYs about this. any company advertising sun protection from red raspberry seed oil legally needs to have passed the required, and very expensive, SPF testing. ask if they have. i’ve seen a few brands sell face oil blends illegally claiming SPF protection. it’s important to be an educated consumer and support ethical brands.
- real life example of an illegal product information claim: “Although Glow Illuminizing Oil does not carry an SPF rating, we’ve packed it with organic SPF oils that naturally protect your skin from uv rays and also prevent damage, heal and regenerate skin cells.“
- list of carrier oils
- i have an updated OCM post here that covers my favorite carrier oils that are all truly non-comedogenic and low in oleic acid (so people with acne-prone skin can safely use)
- includes, but is not limited to: hemp seed oil, amaranth seed oil, prickly pear seed oil
- is baking soda bad for your hair?
- short answer: yes – it’s a pH problem. i encourage you to do your own research and come to your own conclusions for your self-care 🙂
- yes, i know… i posted 6 or 7 years ago about how i was only washing my hair with baking soda and vinegar, and all i can do now is say “i’m sorry” and offer better DIYs and other options available for purchase. everyone has done things that make them cringe.
- can i use witch hazel as deodorant?
- yes! i have some DIYs here.
sending you love.